Monday, November 12, 2012

We All Have One


Life Lessons From a Rodeo Queen

Growing up, I always felt like I was special. When people would ask me where I was from, I would proudly announce that I was an Army Brat, thinking that was unique.  I’m from all over.

But, as I’ve traveled and lived and made friends all over, I’ve realized that I’m not the only one to have a soldier in my life. We all have one.

This thought comes to mind today especially because I recently traveled to Washington DC to bury one of my soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.
Source: flickr.com via Rionna on Pinterest
This soldier is a Marine, a brave, strong man who fought for his country and continued to give his life in so many ways—long after the war in Vietnam was over. I don’t really know how to find the words to express the loss we all feel over his passing. 

The only way I know how, is to honor his life, his dedication. He dedicated his life to the men and women who wear the uniform. He understood, that it is a difficult thing to go from carrying a gun, following orders and protecting a nation to sitting at a family picnic on a sunny Sunday afternoon. He tried in every way he knew how to assist those men and women who come back home, but still fight the battle in their mind, in their heart, everyday. 

And we all have one: a brother, a sister, a friend, a mom, a dad…a somebody who wears our country’s colors with pride. I know I have many readers from other parts of the world…and I’m sure you have one too: the soldier, your soldier who wears the colors of your country with pride. The one who marches the paths we will never have to. The boy in boots, the girl in camouflage…the people who stand at the gates and keep us safe from harm. 
  And to my soldier, I say, “Thank you for teaching me the true meaning of courage. Ooh-rah!!”
Papa's Brick at the National Museum of the Marine Corps

12 comments:

  1. A very moving and profound blog. Thank you for writing it!

    www.alexiabanksromance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,

      Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. It means a lot to me.

      I am so very glad to know you.

      All the Best,
      Rionna

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Kay,

      You are so very dear. Thank you for coming by and sharing your sweetness.

      Smiles,
      Rionna

      Delete
  3. I'll always remember our neighbor who died two weeks before his wedding was scheduled when he stepped on a mine. I was in 3rd. grade and experienced the entire town's grief. We are so blessed to have such heros who give all.
    Thanks for the tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa,

      Thank you for sharing about your soldier. In your words he is immortalized, in your memory he is honored. Thank you for sharing your story.

      Most Sincerely,
      Rionna

      Delete
  4. He sounds like a very special man, Rionna! Thanks for sharing a little bit about him...and blessings to your family as you say 'goodbye'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina,
      Thank you for coming over for a visit and for sharing your blessings with us. The ceremony was wonderful and awful all in the same.

      Blessed be to you and yours,
      Rionna

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Rionna, for this lovely and moving tribute. He must have been very proud to have you as his daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss Peggy,
      You are such a dear. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your caring thoughts!

      All the Best,
      Rionna

      Delete
  6. Rionna,

    thanks so much for sharing your pride in your soldier. You're right, everyone has one. My husband's father died over the seas off Japan, test-piloting a new type of fighter jet. My husband grew up with only a memory of his dad.

    My uncle and great-uncle served, as well as many friends. So proud and grateful for all of them.

    We would not be living in a free America had they not been willing to give their all.

    hugs,
    Cathryn
    http://www.cathryncade.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathryn,
    Thank you dear lady for coming by. I am so pleased to know you and count you among my friends. It is, I believe, the hardest for the children. I feel so sad for that little boy who had to grow to adulthood with only the memory of his father.

    Blessed by to you and yours,
    Rionna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a note. I love to chat!!

Image